The James K. Johnson Award is open to students currently enrolled in a creative writing class or who took a creative writing class in the fall of 2016 at Eastern Illinois University.
Submissions are currently open. The deadline for submissions is March 3, 2017 midnight.
Please note in your submission title if you are an undergrad or graduate student.
The authors of the two winning works will receive a cash prize ($50) and possible publication in The Vehicle.
Guidelines for Submission:
1. Open to all students currently enrolled in a creative writing class at Eastern Illinois University, either this spring or this past fall. Works of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and drama are all eligible.
2. Students must submit work from the class in which they enrolled, one submission per class. Students can submit work in more than one genre only if they are enrolled in more than one Creative Writing class.
3. Submit 3-5 poems, one short story, one creative non-fiction essay or one 10-minute play. Fiction/essay/play should be under 5000 words. Individual poems can be up to 3 pages long.
4. All entries should be typed; fiction and creative nonfiction should be double-spaced; plays should be in standard play format. Each submission should be titled; author’s name should not appear on the actual pages of the submission.
5. Submit all entries online at [jamesjohnsonaward.submittable.com]. Be sure to fill in all required information, including name, email address, creative writing course number, professor’s name and title(s) of work.
6. Note in the title whether or not you are a graduate student.
Deadline for submissions: Friday, March 3rd, midnight.